Call us on:
01225 715 715
Site Search

Sheltered housing 

Sheltered housing is primarily for people over 50 and younger people with a disability or who would benefit from the support on offer.

These are not residential care homes. You live independently with your own front door. Indeed, the aim of sheltered housing is to keep you in your own home so you do not have to go to a care home. 

 A front view of one of our sheltered housing homes Sheltered housing
 colourful animated people standing together letters spelling 'welcome home'

Housing options

We provide a wide range of homes from bungalows and flats to studio apartments in west Wiltshire. You can get an idea about some of our homes by clicking on the links below. 

Atworth, Nr Melksham - Shell Court, Fleetwood Rise

Bowerhill, nr Melksham - Kestrel Court, Trenchard Way

Bradford on Avon - Aldhelm Court, Cedar Court, Elmfield, St Margarets Court

Dilton Marsh, Nr Westbury - Lyes Grove

Hilperton, Nr Trowbridge - Greenhill Gardens

Holt, Nr Trowbridge- The Elms

Melksham - Dorset Crescent, Orchard Gardens, Queensway, Rowley Place, Thornbank,

Trowbridge - Charlotte Court, Downside Park, Grove Court, Manor Court, Maple Grove, Summerleaze, The Homestead

Warminster - Cobbett Place, Medlicott House, Portway, The Maltings, St Georges/The Dene

Westbury - Haynes Road, Jubilee Close

Winsley, Nr Bradford on Avon - Lyddieth Court

Demand for sheltered housing varies depending on the type of home you want and where. But, some flats and studio apartments are often readily available so you may be able to move in quicker than you may have thought! Check our current availability.  Our studio apartments are bigger than you think - they are fully self contained with their own bathroom and kitchen and you can get a good range of dining and lounge furniture in plus a single bed that can be curtained off during the day. Most have plenty of storage areas and built in wardrobes.

Some properties have a range of communal facilities for your enjoyment where you can make new friends if you wish. These include maintained gardens, social lounges, laundries, kitchens, assisted bathing rooms, hairdressing, and guest bedrooms.

Additional support

Sheltered housing comes with Selwood Lifeline as standard and Wiltshire Council's help to live at home service should you want it.

Selwood Lifeline means that you can get the help of your support workers, family, key holders or emergency services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from our call centre. Your smoke detector and door entry is also linked to the call centre.

Selwood Lifeline are currently updating their lifeline units to enable them to provide a better service to lifeline users. This includes individual units, pendants and better communication in the case of an emergency.

words Selwood Lifeline in magenta with fading dots

If you wish to have the benefit of the support service or need personal care you can opt to have the council's help to live at home service. If you are eligible for housing benefit Wiltshire Council will pay for this service for you. Make sure your help to live at home provider knows you are getting housing benefit as you don't want to pay for the service if you don't have to.

Who are the help to live at home providers?

In Melksham, Atworth, Bowerhill, Holt, Hilperton and Trowbridge (except Studley Green) -  Wiltshire Council's help to live at home provider is Mears - phone 0800 121 6525.

In Bradford on Avon, Dilton Marsh, Warminster, Westbury, Winsley and Studley Green, Trowbridge - Wiltshire Council's help to live at home provider is Somerset Care - phone 01225 702 141.       

If you want to have an alternative care and support provider you can arrange this for yourself.  If you have been assessed by adult social care as needing community care services you can decide to receive a payment and organise and buy the services yourself. This is called direct payments.

Who manages the help to live at home providers?

Both providers have a contract with Wiltshire Council's older people commissioning team - helpline 0300 4560111.

They are regulated by the Care Quality Commission - phone 03000 616 161.

How do I apply for sheltered housing?

You can apply by going to Homes 4 Wiltshire.   We may also have a sheltered home available to rent directly through us - see our current availability here.

 Lady with flowers a couple embracing each other

How do I get more information?

For further information please contact us on 01225 715 715 or email  Or, check out our frequently asked questions

this page was last updated: 13/09/2016 09:33:00


Text size: A A A