Call us on:
01225 715 715
Site Search

Home contents insurance

We recommend that everyone has household contents insurance so if something happens (for example there is a flood or your washing machine overflows) you won't need to worry about buying all new stuff.

What is covered?

This scheme covers many areas, including:

  • Two men breaking into a houseMost household goods and contents in your home (including pedal cycles and computer equipment)
  • Lost or stolen keys
  • Freezer contents
  • Legal liability to the public
  • Cost of alternative accommodation
  • Contents out in the open on land belonging to your home
  • Students' possessions while they are temporarily living away from home to study within the British Isles
  • Improvements made to your home (if you include their replacement value on the application form)


In addition to this standard cover there are also options to include accidental damage on all of your home contents, cover for personal belongings, hearing aids and wheelchairs away from the home whilst in the UK and European Union.

For more detail on the policy cover please download a copy of our policy booklet.

Changes to your policy

Please note that as of 1st June 2017 the policy provider will be changing to Allianz Alliance plc.

You will receive a letter which will outline the changes to the existing policy, for more information you can download the updated policy booklet.

I have a claim, what do I do?

Please  call 01225 715715 .

How do I sign up?

Our insurance is only available to tenants with a clear rent account.  You can get more information by contacting customer services on 01225 715 715. 

How much does it cost?

Payments are made with your rent. You still need insurance if you receive Housing Benefit, and you will need to pay for it. The insurance policy is no longer effective if you do not keep up with your payments on at least a monthly basis. 

this page was last updated: 16/06/2017 11:02:00


Text size: A A A