My Account | Register

Right to buy

Preserved Right to Buy and Right to Acquire

Preserved Right to Buy

You may be able to buy your home under your Preserved Right to Buy. Only tenants who were tenants of West Wiltshire District Council and whose home was transferred to us in 1996 or 2001 whilst they were the tenant have a Preserved Right to Buy.

The Preserved Right to Buy follows the same rules as the Right to Buy for council tenants. The rules are set by the government and may change from time to time at short notice.

Discounts are available depending on the number of years you have been a tenant . Currently, you can get up to a maximum of 70% of the market value for houses and flats. There is a maximum amount of discount in cash terms, from 6 April 2017 the government increased this to £78,600. But, you will not be able to buy your home for less than the amount we have spent improving, building or buying it in the last 15 years.

Some properties, such as those built for older people or people with disabilities, are not included in the Preserved Right to Buy.

You can get more information, the guide book and an application form from the government's website.

Right to Acquire

The Right to Aquire allows eligible tenants to buy the home they currently rent at a discounted price. The discounts are fixed by the government and depend on where you live and whether you have received any discount to buy your first home in the past. The discounts are much less generous than those under the Right to Buy.

You can get more information from the government's website.

Tenants who have the Right to Acquire should read this information note so they are aware of the costs involved in purchasing their home.

Useful information

We cannot provide valuations for your home unless you make a formal application under one on the schemes above. But you can get an idea of what other homes have sold for in your road by searching on a property sales website such as Zoopla or Rightmove. Remember, no two homes are the same and house prices go up and down.

If you would like to talk to someone about this, contact our property legal adviser on 01225 715 715.

Selwood Housing is registered with the Homes & Communities Agency and is a registered charity (1141124). Selwood Housing Society Limited is a company limited by guarantee (4168336). All rights reserved. Webdesign and web development by Nvisage