Menu Close


Domestic abuse

Domestic abuse includes many different types of behaviour. It is not just carried out by men against female partners; it affects women, men and children. Domestic abuse can happen between any relationship within the home and family.

Domestic abuse and violence does not refer only to a physical attack. Selwood Housing uses the Home Office definition of domestic abuse, "Any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over, who are or have been intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality. This can encompass, but is not limited to, the following types of abuse:

  • psychological
  • physical
  • sexual
  • financial
  • emotional"

Our approach to domestic abuse

The neighbourhood team at Selwood Housing will make every effort to support customers who are experiencing domestic abuse. This will often mean working with and making referrals to specialist agencies.

Quite often there may not be a simple tenancy-based solution to the situation. We will be clear with victims about this and what all their options are. This may mean you are directed to the local authority for immediate rehousing. We will remain in touch with you until the matter is resolved.

We have partnered with local authorities to ensure a united response to domestic violence. These include Wiltshire Council, Bath & North East Somerset Council and Mendip.

What can we do to help?

If you are suffering from domestic abuse and would like to speak to a neighbourhood manager in confidence, then call 01225 715 715. All reports of domestic abuse will be acknowledged within 24 hours.

Call 999 if it's an emergency or you're in immediate danger.


What can I do if I need urgent police help through the 999 service but can’t speak?

If you’re in an emergency situation and need police help but can’t speak, 'Make Yourself Heard' lets the 999 operator know your call is genuine. Click here to read the Silent Solution guide.

What can I do if I need urgent police help through the 999 service but I am deaf or can’t use the phone?

If you are deaf or can’t use a phone, you can register with the emergencySMS. Text REGISTER to 999. You will get a text which tells you what to do next. Do this when it is safe so you can text when you are in danger.

I don’t have access to a phone and am closely watched. What can I do?

Safe Spaces UK is working with Boots UK, Morrisons, Superdrug and Well pharmacies, TSB banks and independent pharmacies across the UK to provide Safe Spaces in their consultation rooms for people experiencing domestic abuse. Once you are inside, specialist domestic abuse support information will be available for you to access.

How to access a Safe Space
• Walk into any participating pharmacy in the UK.
• Ask at the healthcare counter to use their Safe Space.
• A pharmacist will show you to the Safe Space which will be the consultancy room.
• Once inside you will find displayed specialist domestic abuse support information for you to access to make that call or access Bright Sky safely.

To find a Safe Space in a pharmacy near you click here.

Action Needed Immediately

If you are experiencing domestic abuse and need immediate help ask for ‘ANI’ in a participating pharmacy. ‘ANI’ stands for Action Needed Immediately. If a pharmacy has the ‘Ask for ANI’ logo on display, it means they’re ready to help. They will offer you a private space, provide a phone and ask if you need support from the police or other domestic abuse support services.

I need to leave my home due to the violence. Where can I go?

You should contact your local authority as they have a duty to provide temporary housing for people who are homeless.

What is a refuge?

A refuge is a safe place for women, men and children who are unable to stay safely in their homes because they are experiencing abuse, or are at risk of abuse from a partner, former partner or family member. You can stay there as long as you need, anywhere from a few days to several months.

I’m a man suffering from domestic abuse. Where can I get advice from?

The Men’s Advice Line run by Respect is a confidential helpline specifically for male victims.
Tel: 0808 801 0327
Email: info@mensadviceline.org.uk

What if I am the perpetrator of the abuse or I know of someone who is abusing their partner. Who can I contact?

If you are concerned about your behaviour or the behaviour of someone you know, there is support available. The Respect Phoneline is an anonymous and confidential helpline for men and women who are abusing their partners and families.
It is open Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm. The helpline also takes calls from partners or ex-partners, friends and relatives who are concerned about perpetrators.
Telephone: 0808 802 4040
A webchat service is available Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 10am to 11am and from 3pm to 4pm.

What if I am a child who is suffering from domestic abuse?

In an emergency, you should ring 999 and ask for the Police. Otherwise, you should ring Childline. Telephone 0800 1111.

What if I am an adult who is concerned about a child who is or may be suffering from domestic abuse?

In an emergency, you should ring 999 and ask for the Police. Otherwise, you should ring the NSPCC on 0808 800 5000 or report any concerns directly to Children's Social Services for the relevant local authority.

What is a Multi-Agency Risk Assessment Conference (MARAC)?

A MARAC is a meeting where information is shared on the highest risk domestic abuse cases between representatives of local police, health, child protection, housing practitioners, Independent Domestic Violence Advisors (IDVAs), probation and other specialists from the statutory and voluntary sectors. After sharing all relevant information they have about a victim, the representatives discuss options for increasing the safety of the victim and turn these into a coordinated action plan.

What does DASH stand for?

The introduction of the new Domestic Abuse, Stalking and Harassment and Honour Based Violence (DASH 2009) Risk Identification, Assessment and Management Model, means that all police services, and many partner agencies across the UK, will be using a common checklist for identifying and assessing risk which will save lives.

Although my abusive partner has left the property I still don’t feel safe in my home, but I don’t want to leave. What can I do?

There are a number of legal remedies to stop your abuser from coming back to the property. There is also help to make your property more secure, which could include assistance from the local authority, in Wiltshire support from the Bobby Van, or help from your landlord.

What is the Sanctuary Scheme?

A Sanctuary Scheme is a multi-agency victim-centred initiative that aims to enable households at risk of violence to remain safely in their own homes by installing a ‘Sanctuary’ in the home and through the provision of support to the household.

I left my home but I want to go back there, however my violent partner is still living there. What can I do?

There are several legal remedies available to you to help you go back to your property and exclude your abusive partner. You should seek legal advice about these to see which is best for you in the circumstances.

As my landlord, can you transfer the tenancy of the property into my sole name?

We do not have the legal authority to do this without a court order.

Call us in confidence

If you are suffering from domestic abuse and would like to speak to a neighbourhood manager in confidence, call us on 01225 715 715.

Always call 999 if it's an emergency or you're in immediate danger.

Read our Domestic Abuse Policy

Read our Domestic Abuse Procedure

Other organisations who can help

National Centre for Domestic Violence
Call 08009 702 070
Text 'NCDV' to 60777
Email: office@ncdv.org.uk
Online referral: www.referdirect.org.uk
Website: click here.

FearLess (formally SPLITZ)
Call 01225 775 276
Email: helpdesk@splitz.org
Website: click here.

Contact Housing

Emergency housing & housing options for those in crisis due to domestic violence.

Call: 01225 718 005 (Trowbridge office), 01249 706 666 (Chippenham office) or 01722 434 233 (Salisbury office)

Email: homeless@wiltshire.gov.uk

Website: click here

Victim Support Wiltshire
Call 01380 729 476
Website: click here.

Women's Aid
Call 08082 000 247
Email: helpline@womensaid.org.uk
Website: click here