My Account | Register

Ending a tenancy

Ending a tenancy during COVID-19 government restrictions

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the current government advice is not to move home. Please consider this carefully before deciding to end a tenancy during this time.

Ending a tenancy

You can end your tenancy by giving the relevant notice in your tenancy agreement, usually 4 weeks. This will commence on the Monday following the receipt of your request.

Please send notice via email to:, you will receive confirmation that this has been received and the date that the tenancy will end.

During the notice period

Our voids team will call you to discuss the property condition and provide advice on what is required of you before moving out.

We will visit to fit a key safe on the outside of the property so that the keys can be safely left once you leave.

When tenancy ends

Please leave your keys in the key safe, do not post to us.

If you are unable to leave the property due to issues relating to COVID-19, then please contact us immediately. Rent will continue to be charged until you have left the property and the keys are deposited into the key safe.

Ending a tenancy if someone has died

Please contact us immediately to discuss your circumstances. Rent due post the termination end date will usually be refunded.

Returning  your home to us

Follow our steps below to ensure a successful end to your Selwood Housing tenancy.

1. Give notice

Your tenancy agreement will detail your required notice period and when you must serve notice.

You must provide at least four weeks written notice. To serve notice download our tenancy termination form and send this back to us.

Please provide your forwarding address when completing the form.
We will write to you to confirm that date that your tenancy ends.

2. Make an appointment for a property inspection

Contact us to make an appointment on 01225 715 715. A voids supervisor from Silcoa will then visit you. You will be advised of any repairs that you need to do before leaving.

Make sure you read our guide on returning your home to us so you are aware of how your property should be left and to avoid any unnecessary charges.

3. Let the right people know that you are moving

Contact your utility companies and give them final meter readings, plus your forwarding address.

Let housing benefit and council tax departments know of your change in circumstances.

4. Returning your keys

You need to return all keys to our office reception no later than midday on the Monday that your tenancy ends. You also need to pay any outstanding money owed at this time.

If we do not receive your keys by midday, you will be charged an additional week's rent.

Ending your tenancy forms

You will need to complete a tenancy termination form. You can also check out our guide on how to return your home to us.

Settling your rent account

Remember that you must settle your rent account with us. Not doing so could affect your chances of securing a home in the future.

If you're concerned at all about these costs, let your account manager know. They can advise you of your options.

Ending a tenancy if someone has died

If a family member has died and you need to end their tenancy, we can help. Download our guide on returning a home after a bereavement. You will also need to complete our tenancy termination form.

Scrutiny review

Our scrutiny team looked at our end of tenancy process for one of their independent reviews.

Selwood Housing is a registered charity (1141124). Selwood Housing Society Limited is a company limited by guarantee (4168336). We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority reference no 739371. All rights reserved.
Following the government's advice that everyone must stay at home to help fight coronavirus, we need to make some changes to our services. Read more about these changes here.Find out more