Menu Close


Help paying your bills

Find help with the cost of living

Currently, we're experiencing a substantial rise in the cost of living but if you are struggling to cope financially and need assistance, you may find help through the following services.

Fuel poverty

A household is said to be in fuel poverty if their required fuel costs are above the national average or if the household is left below the official poverty line after paying for fuel.

There are grants and schemes available to help you cover the costs of your fuel bills.

The energy regulator OFGEM provides information on what to do if you cannot afford your energy bills, click here to find out more.

Water debt

More information on how you can manage your water debt can be found here.

For customers who are supplied by Wessex Water Apply for Assist | Wessex Water.

Where Bristol Water is your supplier Struggling To Pay (bristolwater.co.uk).

Somerset household support fund

The fund provides short-term urgent financial help to Somerset residents who are struggling to afford household essentials such as buying food, paying for energy and water bills and other essential household items. Find out more and apply here if you are a Somerset resident.

Wiltshire household support fund spring/summer 2022

The fund provides support to those most in need with the cost of food, energy (heating, cooking, lighting), water bills and other essential costs. This latest fund covers the period between April and October. We will update this page with further announcements regarding the scheme for next winter.

Find out more and apply here if you are a Wiltshire resident.

Social tariffs for broadband

The broadband market offers customers a wide range of choices, with different deals available to suit different needs

Click here to find out more.

Debt and budgeting

Breathing space

Breathing space is a government scheme that will give you time to receive debt advice and find a solution to your debt problems. There are two kinds of breathing space.

Under the ‘standard’ breathing space, creditors will have to stop the collection and enforcement of your debts. A ‘mental health crisis breathing space’ can provide extra protection for people who have been in crisis.

Eligibility for the schemes can be found here.

We’re unable to give debt advice directly. Information is available from Citizens Advice Home (citizensadvicewiltshire.org.uk), Step change StepChange Debt Charity - Free Expert Debt Advice.

There are local providers of debt advice in Trowbridge Trowbridge Debt Advice Service Trowbridge - Community Money Advice, Bradford on Avon Bradford on Avon Hub (boahub.co.uk), and Warminster Home (cornerstone-warminster.org).

Winter fuel allowances

Warm Home Discount Scheme

This is funded by the government but run by your own energy provider. It is available to customers who get the 'Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit' or are on a low income and meet their energy suppliers criteria for the scheme.

The scheme can provide up to a £140 one-off reduction on electricity bills.

Click here to find out more.

Cold Weather Payment

Additional payment can be accessed if temperatures fall below a certain level. This is run the same way as the Warm Home Discount Scheme.

Click here to find out more.

Surviving Winter campaign

This is run by the Wiltshire Community Foundation and is a fund made up of donations by customers of state pension age who do not require their fuel allowance.

A partner agency will need to make the application on your behalf (Selwood Housing is no longer a partner agency).

Click here to find out more.

Get free and impartial energy saving advice

Warm and Safe Wiltshire offers all residents across the county free and impartial energy saving advice.  Their advice line service is open 9am-5pm Monday-Friday. 

Click here to find out more. 

Food and furniture

If you are struggling with the cost of food, our customer support team can advise on food bank assistance. 

You can also find community fridges in Frome and Trowbridge.

For furniture or items for your home, contact: