fbpx
Menu Close

Customers and communities

John Bull pub demolished ready for new affordable homes

Barry, Paul and Nikki 5

The John Bull pub in Trowbridge has now been demolished, ready for work to start, building nine new affordable homes.

Selwood Housing purchased the site in March 2021 after the Studley Green pub had remained vacant for some years. The current plans include six homes for affordable social rent and three for shared ownership, which offers a more affordable way of getting onto the property ladder. The development received £648K part-funding by Homes England and will help provide much needed affordable homes within the Trowbridge Community area, which currently has over 500 households on the Wiltshire Council Housing Register.

Demolished John Bull site

Paul Walsh, Selwood Housing group development director said:

I’m particularly excited by the development at John Bull. It’s a site I’ve known for years’ and had been a special place for many people, but now we can invest in building more local, affordable homes on this derelict site and improve the area. The first homes should be ready in early 2023. We’re hoping to involve Studley Green primary school in the naming of the new scheme. We’ve also worked with local historians to capture the pub's history and to save it.”

Selwood Housing are particularly excited as this will be their first EPC A-rated development, the highest energy efficiency rating, helping towards their 2030 and 2050 carbon reduction targets.

John Bull site being demolished

Economic and environmental factors were also considered during the demolition of the former pub. The demolition contractor estimated that 95% of the demolition waste would be recycled in some capacity, with only the remaining 5% of waste ending up in landfill.

For more information on the site, please visit our John Bull page.

If you want to find out more about shared ownership, click here or follow our sales page on Facebook and Twitter.

A A A