If your power cuts out suddenly, it may have been caused by a tripped switch. This is something that you can easily reset and should resolve the power cut.
Fuses are normally the reason for a tripped switch, because either the circuit is overloaded or there is a faulty appliance. Follow the steps below to reset your trip switch.
Step 1: unplug all appliances.
Step 2: open the cover on the consumer unit to expose the trip switches. If this is mounted high up, ensure you have a secure step ladder for safety.
Step 3: examine all the switches, they should all be in the 'on' position. If there is a switch in the 'off' position, simply push the trip switch back up.
Step 4: plug the appliances back in one at a time. This will help identify the cause of the trip, and if there is a faulty appliance.
Step 5: once you're happy that your electricity has returned to normal, close the cover on the consumer unit.