Menu Close

rent changes image_webpage

Rent changes

From April 2023

We have recently written to our customers to explain changes to our rent charges for the financial year 2023-24.

We're writing to customers now to provide as much notice as possible.

Like all housing associations in England, we work within government policy when setting our rent charges. Following the government’s consultation last year, the rent customers pay will increase by 7% from April 2023, excluding service charges where these apply.

Whilst all rents are different, the average increase per household will be around £7.91 a week.

If all of your rent charge is currently paid by housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit, and your circumstances don’t change, this increase will be covered by your benefits.

We know this news comes at a challenging time for many of our customers experiencing a range of financial pressures. If you’re concerned about this increase, there is support available:

  • Check that you’re receiving all available financial help using an online benefits calculator. We recommend Turn2Us and Entitled To
  • Visit our help paying your bills page which has links to a range of local and national support services
  • If you still have concerns talk to us. Find contact details for your account manager.

As a not-for-profit organisation, the rent we receive is invested in our customers’ homes, our services and in building more affordable homes for people in our communities.

In the current economic climate, we face sharply rising costs. We must balance this with the need to keep rent as affordable as possible. This rent increase comes after careful consideration and approval by our board of directors.

We will write to customers again in February to confirm how much their rent will increase by from April 2023. This letter will also confirm any related service charges where these apply, provide details of any actions customers will need to take and answers to questions you may have.

'How to manage your money' guide

Click here to view

Citizens Advice

Get impartial advice here

Universal Credit

Sign in to your account here

How we spend customers' rent

Read our corporate plan and annual report here