Menu Close


Antisocial behaviour

What is antisocial behaviour?

Antisocial behaviour means acting in a way that causes, or is likely to cause, harassment, alarm or distress to one or more people in another household.

Antisocial behaviour can include:

  • Harassment or intimidation
  • Verbal abuse
  • Criminal damage
  • Graffiti and vandalism
  • Noise (noise related cases made up a third of our case load last year)
  • Substance misuse
  • Assault
  • Vehicle related nuisance

Report antisocial behaviour

The sooner you involve us, the easier it will be to resolve the problem.

To talk to someone about antisocial behaviour and what you are currently experiencing please speak to your local neighbourhood manager. If you need to speak to someone outside of our office hours you can still call us 01225 715 715.

If there has been a serious incident you should contact the police as well as contacting us.

You can also complete our form below. We understand that you may wish to report antisocial behaviour anonymously, however we will need at least a valid email address so that we can take appropriate action.

Antisocial behaviour contact form

We are serious about protecting your privacy and promise to store and look after your personal information carefully, in line with UK law and our privacy notice.

Customer feedback following ASB cases

"I was shocked that I wasn't disbelieved. The Neighbourhood Manager came to see me the next day and sat down with me. Selwood set me up in a hotel for a week to get away from the situation. They helped me move and get an injunction put in place. There was feeling of care and real concern and they put me on to victim support."

"Selwood didn't disbelieve us and were very considerate of how we were feeling. They acted quickly and kept us informed."

"(Staff member) was very professional and kept me informed. I always get a wonderful service whenever I have reason to call Selwood. Everyone is lovely."

"I would like to say that support received from (staff member) on that matter was excellent and very professional."

"Keep doing what you are doing. The communication between Selwood and PCSO was daily and I was kept informed daily so felt safe. Then the outcome of the tenant moving out. My daughter and myself we could feel safe again. Thank you."

Serious incidents

If there has been a serious incident contact us as soon as you can. Please ensure that you also contact the Police.

What isn't antisocial behaviour

  • The noise of neighbours walking across floors
  • Washing machine noise
  • Vacuum cleaner noise
  • Lawn mower noise
  • Children playing outside
  • Cooking smells
  • Doing DIY
  • Dogs barking
  • Occasional and one-off events

Scrutiny review

Our scrutiny team looked at antisocial behaviour for one of their independent reviews.

What happens next?

Your neighbourhood manager will begin a thorough investigation

We take all complaints seriously and your neighbourhood manager will begin a thorough investigation. Your neighbourhood manager will contact you within two working days and will work with you and other organisations to tackle the issue.

If the incident is of a serious, threatening nature that could lead to violence or the use of a weapon, or is a hate crime, we will arrange to see you within 24 hours. Remember to also contact the Police as well.

What does an investigation involve?

Your neighbourhood manager will carry out interviews and gather evidence from you, your neighbours, any witnesses, as well as other
relevant agencies, such as the police and environmental health.
We may ask you as part of this process to complete diary sheets and to download our noise app to aid the investigation.

How will we help to resolve the problem?

We will agree on an action plan with you about what we intend to do and
anything that we need you to do. We have developed a range of responses that are both effective and fair.

What can I do if I'm unhappy with the response to my ASB complaint?

If you feel that our response to your complaint about antisocial behaviour has been inadequate, you can seek an independent review of your case by requesting a 'community trigger review'.

To start this process, select your Council from the list below. You will find further information about the process and how to apply on their pages.

Community trigger review

If you are unhappy with our response to your complaint about antisocial behaviour, you can seek an independent review of your case.

To start this process, select your local area from the list below. You will find further information about the process and how to apply on these pages.



Bath and North East Somerset