My Account | Register

Home contents insurance

Everyone needs household contents insurance

If something happens (for example there is a flood or your washing machine overflows) you won't need to worry about buying all new stuff.

What is covered?

This scheme covers many areas, including:

  • most household goods and contents in your home (including pedal cycles and computer equipment)
  • lost or stolen keys
  • freezer contents
  • legal liability to the public
  • cost of alternative accommodation
  • contents out in the open on land belonging to your home
  • students' possessions while they are temporarily living away from home to study within the British Isles
  • improvements made to your home (if you include their replacement value on the application form)

In addition to this standard cover there are also options to include accidental damage on all of your home contents, cover for personal belongings, hearing aids and wheelchairs away from the home whilst in the UK and European Union.

Our insurance is only available to tenants with a clear rent account.

For more detail on the policy cover please download a copy of our policy booklet.

How much does it cost?

Payments are made with your rent. You still need insurance if you receive Housing Benefit, and you will need to pay for it. The insurance policy is no longer effective if you do not keep up with your payments on at least a monthly basis.

Selwood Housing is a registered charity (1141124). Selwood Housing Society Limited is a company limited by guarantee (4168336). We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority reference no 739371. All rights reserved.
Our offices will be closed on Thursday 17 October for our annual staff event, re-opening at 3pm. If you have a genuine emergency, please call our out-of-hours service on 01225 715 715.