We have a set of standards we follow when preparing a home for a new customer. You can find these outlined below, so you know what to expect when you move into your new home.
Clearance and cleaning
- remove all cobwebs, nails, pins, tape, blue tack and the like from walls
- clean electrical fittings
- clean kitchen units and worktops inside and out
- clean all bathroom fittings, such as toilets, baths and basins
- wash down all internal woodwork, such as doors, door frames, windows and skirting boards
- sweep all floors and stairs
- clean tiles surfaces
- remove shower curtains left by the previous tenant.
- keep any existing decorations which are in a good state of repair and carry out basic redecorations where the property, or certain areas of the property falls below standard
- leave any minor indentations, holes and cracks that can be easily filled and check all visible wood and metal surfaces are in fair condition
- prepare and clean any surfaces that are not in a fair condition, to a standard which will allow for straightforward redecoration once you move in
- for elderly or vulnerable tenants with no sources of help available, we will complete any required redecoration
- determine the number of rooms that are in poor decorative condition and would be eligible for redecoration vouchers.
Fittings and fixtures
- leave all floor coverings that are clean and in good condition, unless previously agreed. These will be gifted to you.
- leave built-in cupboards, shelving, curtain poles and other fixtures and fittings in place if they are in good condition and will benefit you, unless previously agreed. These will be gifted to you.
- remove all free-standing white goods
- remove any other items left by the previous tenant, such as rubbish or furniture.
We will make sure:
- there is a minimum of one ceiling light fitting in each room and install energy-saving light bulbs
- that all staircases have lighting (including in communal areas of flats and sheltered schemes).
We will make sure:
- All habitable rooms have a radiator or other source of heat.
- Make sure all electrical installations are working correctly and safely
- Make sure there is at least:
- three double sockets in the lounge and master bedroom
- two double sockets in other bedrooms
- four double sockets in the kitchen.
- Ensure there is a smoke detector in the lounge, hall and landing, as well as a heat detector in the kitchen.
- Provide an electrical safety certificate at sign up.
- Make sure there are no gas leaks at the property
- Make sure the boiler is safe and ready to use
- Safely cap off any gas cooker point
- Provide a gas safety certificate at sign up.
All kitchens will have a minimum of the following units:
- 1 x sink base unit
- 1 x 900 wide floor base unit
- 1 x 1000 wall unit
- Securely fix all work surfaces and make sure they are free from deep scratches, cracks and burns
- Provide space for a cooker with a suitable connection point
- Make sure there is a food preparation area
- Make sure there are at least four double sockets
- Provide adequate space for a fridge and washing machine with supply points.
- clean toilets, baths and washbasins and make sure they are free from severe discolouration and damage
- make sure the toilet has a seat and cover in working order
- make sure baths and washbasins have working taps, plugs and chains
- make sure any showers that we provide are safe and functional
- provide two rows of splashback tiles around the bath and washbasin and fully tile shower areas.
Windows and doors
- replace all broken panes of glass
- fit glass panels within 800mm of the floor with safety glass
- make sure all latches, locks, hinges and handles operate correctly and safely
- fit child restrictors on all windows on the first floor or above
- make all external doors and windows watertight
- change external door locks, except for in sheltered housing properties, and supply keys for external doors.
- remove all visible rubbish from properties with their own gardens
- clear gardens with grass and vegetation trimmed and removed from the property
- where no fence exists, we'll arrange for our response team to fit chainlink fencing and gates in place if needed to define the boundary
- leave garden outbuildings, sheds and decorative features from the previous tenant if they are safe and in good condition. These will be gifted to you, unless previously agreed.
- make sure the roof is structurally sound and watertight
- secure all downpipes and make sure they are free from leaks
- empty any permanent outbuilding
- make sure access to the property is safe and unrestricted.
We will check that:
- there is hot and cold running water in the property
- all balustrades and handrails on staircases are safe and secure
- all floor surfaces are safe and secure
- the property is free from damp
- the loft is clean and empty
- we have provided a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property at sign up.